I am a qualified Sex and Relationship Psychotherapist with 29 years experience working with couples and individuals.
Counselling: I am an Integrative Counsellor - meaning I draw upon various models of therapy in order to best help clients understand themselves, their role in the world and their relationships with others. I work with a wide range of issues (for both individuals and couples) and have experience of various work settings - including GP surgeries.
Couple counselling: is the process of helping partners in a relationship to recognise and better manage or reconcile troublesome differences, conflict or repeating patterns of distress. In couple counselling I recognize and acknowledge that each person has a unique personality, perception, set of values and history that might be different and at odds from their partner’s. Individuals in the relationship may adhere to different value systems such as social, religious, group and other collective factors which shape a person's nature and behavior; these are all considered in the process of couples counselling.
Psychosexual Therapy: Sexual problems can cause a lot of distress and unhappiness but with the help of a trained and experienced Psychosexual Therapist, most clients soon feel more comfortable with, and confident in, the process. After therapy many clients report that they have been able to overcome their sexual difficulties and go on to have rewarding and fulfilling sex lives. Psychosexual Therapy can help individuals or couples to explore what is not working and what needs to be different. My aim is to help clients identify what is causing the problem (regardless of whether it is long-standing or recent) and provide practical ways of dealing with it in order to renew sexual confidence and intimacy in existing or future relationships.
Here is an interesting article written by a man who has Epilepsy and how the condition affects his sexual functioning.
Sex Addiction: In the last few years I have pursued a particular interest in the treatment of sexual addiction. Sex Addiction Therapy offers a specialised treatment programme for those whose sexual behaviours have become out of control and which they continue with, often to the detriment of work, family and relationships. I can help people to understand why the addiction has occurred, address any underlying issues that may be contributing to their abnormal sexual behaviour, and put in place healthy, alternative ways to meet their needs.
Sexual Offending: I am a trained and accredited member of STOPSO (Specialist Treatment Organisation for the Prevention of Sexual Offending) and work in a highly confidential and secure way with people who have sexually offended. Supervision: I have been a Supervisor since 2003 and provide supervision for both Counsellors and Psychosexual Therapists.
I have a passion and belief in the work I do – and continue to be amazed and fascinated by the human condition and how therapy can facilitate positive and lasting change.
Training and Qualifications
- MSc in Relationship Therapy (Psychosexual Therapy), University of Hull.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy, University of Hull.
- Foundation Skills Training in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (NHS).
- Supervisor Training Certificate (Relate).
- Certificate in Marital and Couple Counselling (Relate).
- Group Skills Trainer (Relate).
- IAPT-trained counsellor for ‘Working with Couples with Depression’.
- Accredited Member of COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapy both as a Practitioner and Supervisor).
- Accredited Member of UKCP (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy).
- Member of ATSAC (The Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity).
- Member of STOPSO (Specialist Treatment Organisation for the Prevention of Sexual Offending).
- Registered Therapist with PODS (Positive Outcomes for Dissociative Survivors).